Saturday, February 20, 2010

Christians Cave and the Eco Trail

On my first Saturday morning, the day was sparkling and beckoning for me to get out there and explore! So I decided to head up to Christians Cave (known as Big Cave to locals – Pitcairners are real imaginative when it comes to naming places…)

Christians Cave is not really a cave as such, but more of a large opening in the cliff face. History says that’s where Fletcher Christian used to hide out from the rest of the population when all of the fighting started.

Before you start the climb, you get to walk along the Eco Trail. I found it very educational and quite interesting. Here are photos of the signs along the way, if you click on them, you should be able to read them if you are interested…









Next stop, Christians Cave. Its one heck of a climb, but the view up there is magnificent.

As you can see, I am a firm believer in appropriate footwear when climbing sheer rock face. I don’t think that this photo does justice to how steep it really was!

Once you are in the cave, you can get a fantastic view of Adamstown (Pitcairns capital and only town)

Can see my house from here!

The easiest (tho not necessarily safest) way back down is via a shortcut called ‘The Tunnel’. The tunnel is a vertical drop and the only way down (especially for someone of my meagre height) is to but your back against one rock face, jam your legs against the other and walk your way down.

From the bottom looking up at the tunnel. That really doesn’t look so bad, why are my knees still shaking??


This is a photo taken from the boat looking at Christians Cave from afar.

No comments:

Post a Comment