Thursday, January 28, 2010

So it begins...

2 days until departure and the butterflies in my stomach are starting to multiply. The mental ‘need to pack’ list has been written – and it’s almost time start packing!

Where am I going, you ask? What am I so excited about, you ask? Here’s some background info…

End Destination?
Pitcairn Island – literally a rock that juts out of the ocean. This little island is best known for its part in the infamous ‘Mutiny on the Bounty’ story back in the 1790’s. Consult Mr Google if you’re curious about the story, go on, its interesting!

Pitcairn is a tiny place that covers about 4 miles square (approx 1 mile x 2 long, yes tiny!) It enjoys a sub-tropical climate that can get very muggy. As a volcanic island, it has some very unfriendly looking cliff faces, covered with beautiful looking greenery that rudely sprouts out of the extremely fertile soil.

Why?
I spent the better part of my childhood years on Pitcairn. Moved there with my grandparents onboard a container ship called the Act 3 (which has since been decommissioned and has probably been recycled into razor blades). Left Pitcairn at 16 to further my education and horizons. Since then, I’ve been back twice. Once for six months after high school in 1999, and the last time was back in ‘02 for a couple of weeks.

Once again, I’ve found myself in position where I can take enough time off work to make the expedition back. Dad dad (my grandfather) is still there and he certainly isn’t getting any younger.

When?
Flying out of Melbourne on Jan 31st at some ungodly time of morning.

How?
Now this is the fun part. Pitcairn has no airport, therefore, the only way to get there is via ship. Unfortunately the shipping line that was the main source of supplies and transportation to the island no longer operates. At the moment, the most feasible way to get to and from Pitcairn is fairly involved and quite expensive. However, every cloud has a silver lining, and the silver on this cloud are the places that you get to visit on the way… Tops!

Just so you know where I’m at and when, check out the itinerary...
From MELBOURNE SUN 31Jan10 AT 06:00AM
To AUCKLAND on same day AT 11:30AM
(QANTAS)

From AUCKLAND SUN 31Jan10 AT 15:50PM
To PAPEETE on SAT 30Jan10 21:55PM (WHOOP!)
(QANTAS)

From PAPEETE on Mon 01Feb10 AT 00:30AM
To EASTER ISL on same day AT 11:15AM (WHOOP!)
(LAN CHILE)

From EASTER ISL on Wed 03Feb10
To PITCAIRN ISL on Sat 06Feb10 (Double WHOOP!)

(SAGA RUBY - Cruise Ship)

From PITCAIRN ISL on Sat 06March10
To GAMBIER ISL on Tue 09Mar10
(CLAYMORE II - Ship)


From GAMBIER ISLAND on Tue 09Mar10 AT 13:15PM
To PAPEETE on same day AT 16:10AM
(AIR TAHITI)


From PAPEETE Thu 11Mar10 AT 08:30AM
To AUCKLAND on Fri 12Mar10 AT 13:10PM
(QANTAS)

From AUCKLAND Fri 12Mar10 AT 20:50PM
To MELBOURNE on Fri 12Mar10 22:55PM
(QANTAS)

Until this journey actual begins, I will continue to dream of the sunshine and blue skies comin my way. I will also continue to be nervous about my first visits to non-english speaking countries and worry about what I will forget to pack!

Au Revior for now, in the meantime daydream of island getaways, I know I will be…

No comments:

Post a Comment